Friday, July 16, 2010

My new book!!!!

No, I didn't write a book or anything. I don't know if the stuff I know is unique enough for one of the many publishers to want to publish something by me. Plus there are so many designers out there that are much more popular, so I'm not holding me breath. :-) :-)


I did want to brag about the new book that I just got in the mail today. :-) :-) :-) Since I don't read Japanese I don't know exactly what the title is, but it is a book on one of my favorite, and still not practiced, forms of lace - Turkish lace. Lacis calls this book by Kou Nanami "Oyas: Turkish Elegance". But I got my copy from a site called Bargain Yarns and they called it "Tig Oyalari". It's the same book - at least I think it's the same. They have the exact same cover. :-)

So, you're probably thinking: "Pinka, what the heck are you doing buying a book in Japanese when you don't read it?" Well, yes, that is true that I do not read Japanese. Not even the Japanese exchange student that we had living with us was able to help me there, but one thing that I know for sure about these books is that they have awesome pictures on their step by step instructions! Who needs to read when the pictures say it all. :-)

Most of the projects in this book are for jewelry, but there are a few really cute edgings and of course, the main reason that I got this book, bead crochet!!! :-) :-)

I've only seen a glimpse of this mysterious Turkish lace. Once at a shop in CA (just can't remember exactly where it was so long ago), and the second time a couple years ago when my good friend Prudence Mapstone was in AZ. She had a wonderful sampling of this beautiful lace and I was so jealous of it! :-) I've been patiently waiting for some of the prices on these books to become affordable and when this one popped up, I pounced on it. :-)

There are some other books on Turkish lace that I'd love to get, but I'd have to win the lottery first. As it is, I was able to get this book for about $23, but have found it on ebay and other places for no less than $50. Check out Lacis! They have so many awesome books that I'd love to have, but $50 for a book is just way too much for me - and I don't care how free the shipping is. :-) :-)

I was able to get my hands on a whole bunch of lace weight 10/2 thread from SWTC called Xie that has been screaming for a delicate lace project like this. I've been using it for bead crochet with much success - I LOVE the drape! - but with all of the colors I have, I really need to show it off with a super, uber delicate project like this. :-) :-)

Okay, I'm teaching a beaded knitting class tomorrow, have a garment to finish and a couple bead projects that have been started. I think I can get all of that done and out of the way in the next couple of weeks. So, by the time Caeden goes back to school on the 26th, I should be ready to start! :-) You may be stuck hearing all about it! :-) :-)

No comments: