Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hit List - Anita Blake book 20

I am an Anita Blake fan... yes, I'm proud to say it and will admit it openly to anyone.  :-)  So you are probably going to expect having me gush all over the latest book, Hit List by Laurel K. Hamilton.

I'm going to surprise you a bit (as it did myself) that I started out really liking this book because one of my favorite characters, Edward/Ted, was in it.  This character just really cracks me up.  He reminds me of Tackleberry from Police Academy mixed with the Terminator and a few other characters mixed in between.  He seems to come up with a new mega weapon each time he makes an appearance and he didn't disappoint this time either.  :-)  :-)

The book started off pretty well and I was really enjoying it until something just kind of happened.  I can't really put my fingers on it, but the story just started to fizzle out.  There was a little bit of deja-vu from some of the other stories so I wasn't as impressed as I was with the others.  Maybe Anita Blake needs to either retire from the US Marshals or something else needs to happen to change the direction of the series because I think (and this makes me gasp) that I may be getting a little bored with this series.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the characters and enjoy reading (or listening if on audio book) about their shenanigans.  But really, how many more lovers can Anita really bring back to St. Louis?  It almost seems like she picks up lovers like those lonely old women and their stray cats.  I can almost see Anita showing up back at the Circus of the Damned asking Jean Claude, "Can I keep him? Please?"  :-)  :-)

Now that Olaf (I can't remember if that was how to spell his name and I'm too lazy to grab one of the books that are way, way over there in the other room) caught the lycanthropy virus, who knows where that may lead.  Hopefully into something a little more interesting and not with Anita taking him in as one of her lovers either.  Gosh, come on Laurel K. Hamilton, does Anita really have to have that many lovers?  Plus, I do find it funny that almost all of Anita's lovers are so needy and so emotional.  Yeah, I guess Anita did describe herself as being more of a guy to an extent, and I think that is the appeal that she has with her fans.  I also like the fact that she's part Hispanic and that even though she's still small, she's not skinny and can really kick butt.  :-)

I'll be curious to see what happens with the next book, but I'm in no hurry to read it.  I'd rather have the writer come up with a brand new twist than regurgitate the same old stuff.  Have you ever read any of the Christine Feehan books?  You want to talk about regurgitating!  The only difference in the books are the character names and a bit of plot, but those books are almost all the same.  I didn't have to read all of them to know this, but I read enough.  :-)

I have gone back to re-read the very first book in the series and really enjoyed it.  I like re-reading some of my favorite books.  I hope I can find books 2 and 3 at the used book store sometime soon so I can read the whole series in order.  It really annoys me when I can't do that.  :-)

No comments: