Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Good Yarn

Yes, amazingly enough, I have finished another book - this time it was an audio book that I borrowed from the library. The book this time was A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber. I've been reading this series kind of out of order so it's kind of confusing when all of the sudden a minor character in the last book I read becomes a main character a few years before. Time warp, even when reading books, is confusing and really plays with my head. :-) :-)
The only constants for me were Lydia and her sister Margaret... though even these characters are at different times in their lives. I believe the last book I read had Lydia adopting a 12 year old girl and was already married to her husband, Brad. In this book, Lydia and Brad are not married yet - so that took some getting used to.
The story was cutsie with sugar and spice and everything nice. It was fun listening to it, but this kind of story just personally gets on my nerves. I liked the other books, but this one was just not suited to my personal tastes. Please don't beat me up too badly for this, but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to rich people all of the sudden becoming fairy godfathers like one of the characters, Mavric the gambler, did in this book. I don't believe that anything like this could or would ever really happen to anyone I know. Yeah, it may be fun for others to dream about it, but I don't. So, the story was kind of annoying to me.
Now, I know that there are tons of knitters that swear the Debbie Macomber could do no wrong and is the perfect writer in the universe... okay, I can see where you are coming from because being a knitter and crochet myself, I love the fact that a yarn shop and knitting is the background for these stories. Her writing is really good and I've fallen in love with most of her characters. I love the fact that no one minds that the kitty lives at the yarn shop and possibly gets her fur all over the place, and I love the part of the series where two sisters that were almost enemies become best friends and work together in the shop. You are right, Debbie Macomber can do no wrong - she's written the most ideal fantasy yarn shop for all of us, but this story just didn't sit in my brain the right way. :-) You can't please everyone, right? :-)
Now, I believe that this book was the second of the series - I hope it was. So the next step is to figure out which title is the next one. I really don't like to read books out of order. So far this series is written so well that I'd really like to see everything progress in the order they were meant to be read. :-) :-)
As I go through this series, it kind of takes me back a couple years ago when I read the Friday Night Knitting Club series - which I also accidentally read out of order - but believe it or not, I really didn't make that much of a difference to me. I didn't care.... maybe because some of the characters were a little too shallow for me to care? I don't know. I can't really put my finger on why, but I know that I do want to try really hard to try to read the Blossom Street series in order. :-) :-)
Okay, feel free to comment and beat me up now. :-) :-)

No comments: