Saturday, March 24, 2007

I love new yarns! :-)

In the past month I have been playing with yarns from South West Trading Company (www.soysilk.com) and I have to say that I'm getting quite addicted to the how incredibly soft this stuff is. I've been working with Love, Rock, Pure and Gianna. I think my all time favorite is Love - it's 30% Silk and 70% Bamboo. No wonder it's soft with that silk in there. I made myself a top out of this and love to wear it! It feels really good against the skin and I am very tempted to make myself another top. :-)

I made a little purse out of Rock. This has a little bit of wool and hemp - but I think it's the hemp that makes it a bit "scratchy".... well, compared to Love! I still prefer the feel of this yarn over some of the acrylics that I have in the closet. :-) Even the "softer" acrylics don't feel this good. :-) Well, that is my opinion and it will have to take 'feeling up' a lot of softer acrylic yarns before I can find anything that may compare. :-)

Gianna is a bulky wool blend that is probably one of the most fun yarns that I've played with in a long time. Well, it's been a long time since I've purchased new yarn, so I don't have much to compare. If you ever want to make a quick project, this is the yarn to use. I was able to make a petite purse for use as a dressy purse out of a ball and a half. It's not super tiny, but enough to stick your wallet, keys, cell phone and maybe even a coin purse. :-)

Right now I'm playing with Pure - this is 100% soy silk and I can't really describe the feeling of this yummy yarn. It's a bit 'sticky' like some cottons, but will not injur your hand while crocheting or knitting with it. I just can't describe this yarn, but the finished project feels wonderful! :-) I've made a hat, scarf and bagpack/purse with this. I'm swatching another ball too see if I need to use smaller knitting needles since I've become such a lose knitter these days. So far my gauge is still really loose and I'm using needles two sizes smaller than suggested. So, as soon as I complete the repeat of the pattern I'm using, I'll switch to an even smaller set of needles and continue working. It's a good thing that I like to swatch because if I didn't, I'd be in trouble!

You're probably asking why I'm working with so many yarns from SWTC - I'll let you in on a little secret... I'm making designs for them and hope they will take a few. :-) So far, three are being considered and I'm just waiting to see if they send a contract for them. If they don't accept them, I'm not afraid to try some other outlets. :-)

So, that is why I'm also not posting any pictures. But I will let you know if (and when) these little designs I'm working on come out. :-)

Take care,

Pinka

No comments: