Monday, June 13, 2011

Harriet Tubman - The Moses of Her People

One of my most absolute favorite historical figures - Harriet Tubman!  This book, by Sarah H. Bradford, looks like it was originally published when Harriet Tubman was still alive!  Wow... this book was such an awesome read for me... I have no idea how I had never read this book before considering that Harriet Tubman has been one of my heroines since I was around 10 years old or so. 

The book , in my own humble opinion, was a bit too short and didn't get into some of the details that I had read in other books.  But it was still really cool because there were some parts that I never knew about.  After researching and reading just about anything I could get my hands on about Harriet, I still found myself learning more!  :-)  :-)

The read itself is a little dry, almost like reading a history book, so if you don't enjoy that kind of stuff, then you may not like this book.  But it is amazing if the subject matter interests you - like it did with me!  :-)  What I liked about this book as well was that the writer was actually able to confirm many of the stories that she got directly from Harriet herself, in letters - which is part of the final chapter of the book.  Wow... to read the letters from other historical figures like Frederick Douglass, William Seward, James Montgomery.... just take out your history books and you'll find at least a couple of these names in there.  And all of these letters are corroborating the same stories that Harriet shared with the writer.  This was really cool - it was better than a historical novel - this stuff was coming from the actual people that lived through it themselves.  :-)

When I saw this book being offered as a free book for my Kindle on Amazon.com, I jumped on it and made sure I didn't wait to download it.  :-)  Since I never know how quickly the prices change for some of these books, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out.  I did find that the book was a bit too short for me - but then, like I mentioned before, I just love reading about Harriet!  :-)

Okay, before I start rehashing her whole life story from memory, I'll let you download the book and read it yourself (I believe it's still free as of tonight when I checked).  Don't expect a novel, this book is made up of a bunch of stories... a little out of order but so neat to read. 

A few weeks ago I was talking about heroines from the past couple centuries and could not believe that some of these people didn't know who Harriet Tubman was!  I just couldn't believe that... my husband said that maybe it's because she's not as big of a historical figure as Lincoln or Washington.  I know that I'm a bit nerdy here, but come on!  If you don't know who Harriet Tubman is either, shame on you!  You can start learning about her here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Tubman

Now get off the computer and go learn something!  :-)  :-)

No comments: