Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Plain Wisdom

The book that I just finished listening to in audio book is called Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud.  I didn't realize what kind of book this was when I downloaded it because this was just not my type of book at all... yet I am still interested in checking out the book at the library just so I can copy some of the recipes in it.  :-)  :-)  :-)  So, there was still something positive in this whole experience.  :-)

The reason that I said that this was not my kind of book is because this takes the experiences and stories of two women, in this case Cindy and Miriam, and their outlook on life and their faith in God with their traditions and backgrounds.  Cindy is a best selling author that has lived a typical American life with a husband, kids and a career.  Miriam is an Old Order Amish that was not very familiar with our "English" ways.  I admitted in my last discussion about Cindy Woodsmall's book that I am not very familiar with the Amish and their traditions.  Well, this book certain took care of that!  :-)  :-)  But there were certain times that I tended to zone out because it was just a little too much in the religious discussion for me - but this is exactly what this book is about.  It's about how even with completely different backgrounds, these two ladies found a common ground to base their friendship - their faith in God.

I keep saying time and again that I am not a religious person, but I do keep an open mind to some Christian fiction because some books are written well and sometimes the stories can be fun to read.  But when I feel that I'm hearing a sermon instead of listening to a book, then I tend to shut down.  That is just me - it's the way I've been since before I can remember.  I don't want to get into what my religious views are now, but they are no where near where either one of these ladies are.  So I guess I would not be a good friend if faith and God were what they started their friendship on.  But then, thinking of it, I've had some friendships that I thought were really good friendships that fizzled away when religion came into their lives.  Because they couldn't talk to me or talk me into converting, the friendship just went away.  It's too bad because I really miss some of those friends.  It was too bad that they let their religion dictate who they could be friends with instead of just letting the friendship continue with what we already had in common.

Now, now... I'm not saying that the whole book was like a sermon and the whole thing was about God and the bible... there were actual good parts that I really enjoyed.  The stories on early childhood friendships, the funny stories about their kids (the one about the kid that couldn't find his pants and forgot his hat was probably my favorite - yes, you'll need to read the book to find out) and my all time favorite... the food!!!  I totally know that I love food and have accepted that this is exactly why I'm overweight.  I hate being in the kitchen, but I love to eat.  So if that means that I need to figure out how to make a few good things to eat in the kitchen, then so be it.  I'll cook just so I can enjoy the outcome.  :-)  :-)  Now all of the recipes sounded interesting, but a couple have me so curious that they have become an absolute must to try out... the peanut butter spread and the sweet rolls that someones aunt used to make.  If I could find some kind of common ground with an Amish woman, this would be it.  I love food!  :-)

I have to make a side note here - my arm has been bothering me really bad for the past few days and the annoying pain has been taking over my brain.  So, if I am a little more scatterbrained than usual, it's because it is hard to concentrate and keep my mind focused.  Yes, believe it or not, I actually know how to focus!!!  :-)  :-)  :-)  I've been having more and more trouble remembering or just coming up with words; normal, everyday words to express what I'm trying to say.  Can you believe that I've been forgetting words like "I" and "the"??  Can't blog much without those now can I?  :-)  :-)

Okay, back to the book.  Other than the recipes that I want to try out, it was really interesting on learning how both families live.  I learned that the Old Order Amish do not live as simple as I originally thought... as if they were living 150 years ago.  They still use some modern conveniences, so in terms of what is used in their household, it's not all that different from us.  Sure, there are some people, my niece is a perfect example, that cannot live without their cell phones or computers.  Okay, I've never been one to be glued to my cell phone, but I used to live my life on my computer.  It's how I made a living.  But after this wonderful invention took away what I consider my 'normal' life with an injury, I now have to really limit my computer time... so the computer is not as important as it used to be.  Now I use it more for fun... like writing this blog is fun.  :-)  Because they do not use electricity for things like TV, they fill their evenings with stuff like reading.  Jeez, that's a strange concept... NOT!  I don't watch very much TV and read every chance I get - that's why I started blogging more often!  :-)  :-)  :-)



Okay, I just had another thought but it must have been lonely and ran away... so I can't write about it now.  But if you are the kind of person that likes to read religious stuff, then you'll probably love this book.  It was very well written - I've enjoyed all of Cindy Woodsmalls books - and at times it is really fun to read.  Maybe you'll even know what scriptures they're talking about - because there is a lot in this book, and know how they apply to each story.  :-)  :-)  That was something that was completely lost on me... but for me it's no biggie.  I'm not ashamed to admit my ignorance.  :-)

Take care,
Pinka

No comments: